Edison Township Criminal Defense Lawyer
Former New Jersey Prosecutor Develops Tailored Defense For Clients Charged With Criminal Offenses In Edison Township and Throughout New Jersey
If you have been charged with a criminal offense, the best possible legal defense of the charges brought against you is a defense that is tailored specifically to your case — not a generic “one size fits all” defense. Edison Township criminal defense lawyer Anthony J. Vecchio knows this first-hand and uses his knowledge to develop tailored, strategic defenses for clients in Edison and throughout New Jersey.
Experienced Edison Township Criminal Defense Lawyer Skillfully Represents New Jersey Clients Facing All Types Of Criminal Charges
Whether you have been pulled over for a driving while intoxicated (DWI) charge, arrested for shoplifting, or charged with assault, the Law Offices of Anthony J. Vecchio, LLC have you covered. Our top-rated criminal defense team skillfully represents clients in Edison Township and across New Jersey who are facing criminal charges. Our law office handles the following criminal offenses and more:
- Disorderly conduct
- Domestic violence
- Assault, aggravated assault, sexual assault
- Driving under the influence (DUI) of alcohol or drugs
- Marijuana DUI
- Endangering the welfare of a child
- Drug offenses
- Weapons charges
- Right to bail
- Resisting arrest
- Diversionary programs
- Restraining orders
- Juvenile crimes
- Internet crimes
- Credit card fraud
- Bad check charges
- Death by auto
- Assault by auto
- Municipal court jail sentencing
- Police brutality
- Terroristic threats
If you or a loved one has been charged with a criminal offense, contact the Law Offices of Anthony J. Vecchio, LLC to arrange for a free, no-obligation case evaluation.
How Does the New Jersey Criminal Process Work?
For most people, the steps involved in the criminal process are largely unfamiliar. And that is understandable. But when you have been charged with a criminal offense, it is critical that you understand those steps and the importance of each in the overall context of your criminal case.
Below are some of the key steps in the criminal process:
- Investigation of the alleged crime
- Arrest of an individual based on probable cause
- Criminal charge: this is a formal accusation made by the prosecutor alleging that someone has committed a crime
- Initial hearing or arraignment: this happens shortly after a defendant is charged
- Discovery: both sides share information about their case
- Plea bargain: a legal agreement between the defendant and the prosecution, which resolves the case without going to trial
- Preliminary hearing: prosecutors must present enough evidence to convince the judge that there is probable cause to require the defendant to stand trial for the crimes charged in the complaint
- Trial before a jury or judge
- Sentencing: if the defendant pleads guilty or the jury finds the defendant guilty, the court sentences the defendant
- Appeal: if the defendant is found guilty, they can file an appeal that asks a higher court to review the case and reverse the decision of the lower court. A defendant may appeal the conviction or just the sentence
- Expungement: providing the criteria is met, a criminal record may be expunged
Have questions about the criminal process in New Jersey? The Law Offices of Anthony J. Vecchio, LLC are available to answer your questions — arrange for a free initial consultation.
Charged With A Crime And Need Legal Defense? Edison Township Criminal Defense Lawyer Anthony J. Vecchio Is Ready To Handle Your Case
Being charged with a crime can be overwhelming and frightening. We get it. But the steps you take after being arrested or charged are critical to the outcome of your case. The Law Offices of Anthony J. Vecchio, LLC protect the rights of the accused and we are ready to fight on your behalf. Our team offers a free, obligation case evaluation so that you can make the most informed decisions regarding your case. To learn more about how Edison Township Criminal Defense Lawyer Anthony Vecchio can help your case, arrange for a free initial consultation with a member of our team.
About Edison Township, New Jersey
Edison Township, New Jersey, is located in Middlesex County, New Jersey, in the north-central region of the state. This bedroom suburb in the New York City metropolitan area is home to 101,309 residents. In 2018, there were a total of 1,147 incidents of property crime reported to law enforcement. In that same year, a total of 899 incidents of larceny/theft were reported to law enforcement, along with 166 burglaries reported. In 2018, there were 120 incidents of violent crime reported to law enforcement, along with 82 reported motor vehicle thefts. A total of 66 incidents of aggravated assault were reported in 2018, as well as 44 reported robberies. There were 8 reported rapes in 2018, 4 reports of arson, and 2 incidents of murder and nonnegligent manslaughter.
Frequently Asked Questions About Criminal Offenses in Edison Township, New Jersey
Yes — there are limits. A search warrant gives police permission to conduct a physical search of a certain location to look for specific items. The search may not extend outside the parameters specified in the search warrant itself. In order to apply for a search warrant, law enforcement must show probable cause based on information they have received from a reliable source or from their own first-hand observations. Search warrants must be signed by a judge. If police officers conduct a search without a legal search warrant, the search — and anything obtained during the search — is presumed to be unreasonable.
Yes. Individuals who have been granted a license for medical marijuana use under the Compassionate Use of Medical Marijuana Act are still prohibited from operating a motor vehicle while under the influence of marijuana. So while the consumption of marijuana may have been legal, it is illegal to drive while under the influence of marijuana.